When should I set my garbage out?
All garbage for curbside collection should be set out no sooner than 7:45 AM using 30 gallon containers (with covers) made from metal or plastic. Loose garbage bags are not acceptable. All garbage containers must be removed from the curb on the day of collection.
When do I need to use the Nelson County Landfill?
Anytime that you have an item for disposal that is not included in the city's list of acceptable items for curbside pickup, it is your responsibility to arrange for the item to be transported to the Nelson County Landfill. Examples of such items may include large items like refrigerators, deep freezers, junk cars, tires, wastes requiring a special permit, etc.
When is the Landfill open and what does it cost?
The Nelson County Landfill is open 8:00 - 4:30 (M-F) and 8:00 - 12:00 (Sat.) The cost is $7.00 per level pickup load of material. Larger loads are charged at rates set by the Nelson County Fiscal Court.
Whom do I call to complain about the unsightly garbage, refuse, or storage problems in my neighborhood?
The City of Bardstown has a nuisance mitigation system for resolving such matters, and such complaints should be forwarded to Bardstown City Hall at 348-5947.
What is acceptable for curbside pickup?
- Normal household garbage such as foodstuff, cooled ashes, miscellaneous paper, cardboard, tin cans, bottles, rags, and similar materials.
- Yard refuse such as leaves, grass cuttings, when sealed in plastic bags.
- Brush and tree limbs, when cut to less than 10 foot lengths and stacked neatly near the street. Such refuse shall be placed no closer to the street than the property owner's side of any street ditch or gutter. This service is for occasional residential use, the removal of trees, logs, or refuse resulting from attempts to "clear" large sections of land are not the intended purpose of this service.
- Household and yard furniture, and other bulky objects weighing up to 100 pounds. A resident that desires bulky item pickup must notify the City of Bardstown at least 24 hours prior to placing the item(s) at the curb.
What is NOT acceptable for curbside pickup?
(A Commercial Service Provider should be utilized.)
- Dangerous substances such as poisons, acids, explosives, caustics,or infected materials (to include "bloodborne" and other biohazard wastes).
- Construction/Demolition debris such as earth, mortar, plaster, lumber, roofing materials, paint, carpet, plumbing, and/or electrical materials.
- Tires (please contact a local tire distributor for more information)
- ANY UNCONTAINED GARBAGE
- ANY MATERIALS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN PREPARED FOR COLLECTION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE RULES ABOVE